Will this lock be suitable for my mailbox?
This lock can be used with any mailbox manufactured by The Safety Letterbox Company. Please be aware that other brands of mailboxes are supplied throughout the UK including MEFA & RENZ, this particular lock will not work with items manufactured by other companies.
Do I need a lock?
We highly recommend replacing your lock if you have lost a key for your mailbox – this is to ensure the security of your mailbox going forward in the future. New locks are supplied with a set of new coded keys which will be different to your existing key if you have it – removing the opportunity for unauthorised access to your mailbox by an individual who may have your lost key.
I’ve lost my lock – is this the correct item for me?
This product requires the use of an existing CAM from the current mailbox lock – if you do not have the lock then you will need to purchase the SLB Mailbox Lock Bundle which contains a variety of different CAMs that can be used with any mailboxes from our extensive range of products.
How do I fit a mailbox lock?
Replacing the mailbox lock is straight forward and requires a basic level of DIY skill. Please use the following instructions to guide you through the process, or give us a call for any advise.
Important: Please work in a safe manner using relevant PPE guidelines (safety glasses & gloves)
- – Fit a 5mm diameter steel drill bit in a power drill to use.
- – Place the drill bit into the hole of the lock (be careful not to damage the body of the mailbox), drill straight and apply consistent pressure.
- – Drill into the lock to a depth of approximately 16mm. Once you have reached this depth, the internal pins will start to break down and you will feel the lock work a little loose.
- – Remove the drill and insert a small screw driver – twist the screw driver until the lock releases and the door opens.
- – The lock does not open – drill further into the lock and repeat.
- – Once the door of the mailbox is open:
- – Remove the nut on the rear of the lock.
- – Remove the ‘CAM’ which holds the door closed – please keep this to use on the new lock.
- – Remove the locking ring which tightens and secures the lock to the body of the mailbox.
- – Place the new lock into the lock hole.
- – Tighten the locking ring.
- – Reuse the CAM removed from the previous lock.
- – Tighten the nut on the rear of the lock.
- – Using the new keys, check that the lock is now securing the door.